Monday 28 May 2012

Show me the money!

Dear reader,

I'm deeply sorry that I didn't write anything last night, I spent the whole day at my Gran's and then sorted out my bag for today. What was this bag for you ask? Well, that leads me onto today's topic.

The whole of S2 took a trip to Edinburgh Zoo today, as part of biology. Well, I think that's what is was for, we were meant to attend a lecture on primate behaviour as part of the trip, but... um... we um... missed it. Shame... :S Anyway, we had a brilliant time walking round, admiring bored animals and surrounding them with cameras. And of course at the end we went to the gift shop. Ah the gift shop, more often than not it's the child's highlight of the day out. You walk in, squeal at the sight of cuddly toys and stationary that you know you will probably never glance at again but nevertheless like the colour. Then, you grab your favourite item and then suck up to mum and dad to convince them that if you don't buy this you will simply DIE.

The problem is, even as a fourteen year-old girl, I still feel that way. Knowing that you have a tenner burning a hole in your pocket is unbearably tempting. So naturally, I thought, "I'm here, I have to buy something." My mind then flew back home to my brothers: Fraser brought me something back from his trip, so it's only fair, and Elliot (being 5) would scream the place down if I got Fraser something and not him. Okay. Sorted.

Next problem - what to get. Nothing too big or fancy, but nothing rubbish that would be pointless to buy. They have to like it. I looked at around and settled for two magnets which suited them perfectly. Pleased, I checked the prices and I swear down I had to read the label twice. Now, not so pleased. £2.50... EACH. For both of them I would be paying a fiver on my brothers. A bit much perhaps, but those were the only "cheap" gifts I felt they would like. Sighing, I went on patrol for a little something for myself. I found a bookmark and a panda key-ring, totalling up to £9.50 altogether. And thank God I still had enough for the bus home.

Here comes the real question: why on Earth are they priced so high?! Well, in all fairness, Edinburgh Zoo profits go to charity which I think is fandabbydosey, but in general, costs for little bits and bobs at the teeny wee gift shops are ridiculously overpriced. I know it's all stupid stuff like, "Oh, people will pay anything these days, besides, we need the money," or "Ah, they won't mind. The public love the museum." Yeah, keep telling yourself that mate, cos after viewing the prices, they might not be so keen on spending that much on a pencil, meaning that you lose money. Ha ha HA.

I mean, it makes sense, doesn't it? If you bring the costs of things down, more people would be comfortable about buying them, meaning that you would possibly - in theory - get more money. It's a win win situation, no?

Comment your opinions, I'm certain that I'm not alone on this one. ;)

Liv.

3 comments:

  1. I ABSOLUTELY AGREE. gift shops are RIDICULOUSLY over-priced. who wants to spend 3 quid on a bookmark, for heaven's sake? or a pencil with a light-up end? or an eensy weensy packet of not-so-nice sweets? ugh! paininthebum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You speak the truth, my friend. :) Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  2. Ohh the same happends in Portugal...You go to a zoo or to an waterpark, you take a picture with a monkey of paper at real size....ten euros (9 pounds)...are you kiding with me??? Am I STUPID????? Dahhh...Oh and I love that part where you say:" Next problem - what to get. Nothing too big or fancy, but nothing rubbish that would be pointless to buy. They have to like it. I looked at around and settled for two magnets which suited them perfectly. Pleased, I checked the prices and I swear down I had to read the label twice. Now, not so pleased. £2.50... EACH. For both of them I would be paying a fiver on my brothers. A bit much perhaps, but those were the only "cheap" gifts I felt they would like. Sighing, I went on patrol for a little something for myself. I found a bookmark and a panda key-ring, totalling up to £9.50 altogether. And thank God I still had enough for the bus home"

    ReplyDelete