Friday 16 January 2015

Cue the January Blues

Dear reader,

Hi again, hope you're all doin' alright. Prelims have been going on these past two weeks which means late nights, paper everywhere and several cups of tea an hour. Then I start studying.

It's snowing up here, pretty heavily at times, which is exciting because we haven't really had anything this winter. But on the other hand it's actually proving to be very confusing because my body is now assuming that because it's snowing Christmas is on the way and I should get really excited but NO, it's OVER. 

January's such an odd month. I don't know if it's just me, but it kind of feels like nobody really knows what to do with themselves around this time of year. There's no mad rush to get presents sorted or plan office night's out, there aren't any cheesy Chrimbo films to indulge in or New Year's Eve parties to attend, and if you're like me you've already finished the chocolate you got for Christmas. It's shit. 

And to make things worse, we've all probably made promises to ourselves to break habits or start new ones for the fabulous entry into 2k15. This is also shit, because they rarely last more than a week - two at most. "I'm gonna go for a run every morning this year!" "I'm cutting out carbs. For good. Apart from potatoes, and bread... and maybe pasta" Aye right mate. 

If I've created a slightly cynical and depressing atmosphere so far, I'm heading in the right direction. Because here comes the volta (I know it's not poetry but look at me revising for English, eh, eh?) - we must fight to defeat the January Blues: we must not let them get the better of us. My New-January's-Resolution is to stop making resolutions and start accepting that I am not a character in The Incredibles

So here's how it's gunna go down: you're going to wake up each morning and find things to do. Keep busy, make plans to look forward to. If you're going to set goals, fantastic but don't make them too out-of-reach. Meet up with friends, go to the cinema, get on your bike, walk the dog, I don't care, just find ways to be happy, and find ways to make other people happy too; we're all suffering this month. 

I didn't have a specific topic in mind tonight, but it would seem that just typing has brought out something of a pep-talk. Ah well, I hope it helped and inspired you all.

Leave a comment to let me know how you plan on tackling your January Blues, I'll always reply. 

And good luck!

Liv. 


2 comments:

  1. Ahh! Good luck with your prelims! I know the stressful feeling, we just had our finals this past week. Hope you tackle your January blues!
    - July, http://julyaemmance.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, July! :D Aw man, hope they went okay for you, absolutely overjoyed that I'm done now (sorry it took so bloomin long for me to reply) Same to you, Happy February tomorrow!

    Liv.

    ReplyDelete